Wednesday, March 7, 2012

My 2012 College Speaking Tour

Over the past several months I have had the opportunity to talk to marketing students at multiple universities around Atlanta.  During the designated hour, I walk through what I do in my role as Director of Marketing at Moe's  (brand management, strategy development, promotions, etc.).  I am really lucky because I love what I do and I work on an amazing brand so I find myself getting really pumped up while I am speaking to the students.   

http://aroundatk.gcsu.edu/?p=1128

As enthusiastic as I get, I have to pull myself in and remember this isn't about me, it is about the students and giving them real life insight into the marketing industry.  I try to provide a high level road maps of all the different directions/disciplines you can go in advertising / marketing, provide advice around the importance of networking and learning from your peers, always being a student, etc. 

I started these speaking engagements as a way to improve my public speaking skill set but have gotten so much more out of it than I ever imagined.  I am "giving back" and it feels really good.  Simple and rewarding.  I encourage anyone to try it...be a mentor, offer advice, take time out of your day to help the next generation, to teach them, encourage them. 

I can't wait to see how the next generation pushes "the veterans" into new spaces.



.

No comments:

Post a Comment