Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Scot Safon Speaks at AMA Atlanta Collegiate Conference

As a member of the AMA (American Marketing Association) Atlanta Collegiate Committee, I was able to help organize the collegiate conference held at the Biltmore last Friday.  The conference agenda was designed to inspire and help steward college students who are about to enter into the business world. 

While I was part of the group that developed the agenda, I wasn't truley aware who Scot Safon was or what he was going to speak about.  I had heard "the name" in networking circles and heard the buzz from his appearance at the AMA Atlanta luncheon a few months ago. If you don't know who he is, Scot is currently the head hancho at Headline News.  His career timeline starts in an ad agency, eventually lands him at TNT developing movie posters (interestingly enough a dream of his), then onto lead CNN and HLN. 

For an hour I listened to Scot walk us all through his amazing career and his message was extremely simple...."be enthusiastic about what you are doing!!!" Simple....but difficult, I thought.  Some other quotes to share from the presentation; "persuasive writing versus creative writing", "remain a student throughout your career", "don't ever move for a title", "be intentional". 

Right then I vowed to remain a student and share some of the learning with others...hence, the blog.  Now, as I reflect and think about the presentation and his message, I ask how can I incorporate the learning into my own life?  Being true to myself and loving what I do, is a start.....

No comments:

Post a Comment